Regio UE GR MDRAP focsani fonduri-ue

Lepsa Monastery


In 1774, the foundation stone of the Lepşa Monastery was laid, at the foot of the Vrancea Mountains. The monastic settlement on the bank of Putna was founded on the initiative of Russian monk Kipsa. His desire was to have a place hard for the laity, so that the monks here can pray to the Good God, without being disturbed by their ascetic life. In 1929, the original hermitage church burnt, another being built in 1936.
     The settlement is located in a legendary setting, in the vicinity of the Lepşa-Soveja road. Situated 75 km from Focsani, on DN 2D, Lepşa Monastery became in the last years one of the privileged destinations of those who love the peace and the life of the monastery.
     Lepşa is the second important monastic settlement in Vrancea archaic and was founded about two decades after the founding of the Black Valley Hermitage by monks of Slavic origin. Although until now only these two monastic vestiges remain in archaic Vrancea, during the time, the vrchnenii had other attempts and even founded ephemeral sketches which for various reasons were closed or simply monks have it left, and the monastic churches became myths. In the land of Putna, in a generous natural setting, there is the Lepşa monastery. Access is easy, making it directly from the road. At the entrance, the visitor is welcomed by a well, and the concrete path leads him to the entrance, which is made through the gang of the guard bell. The scenes of the birth of the Savior, accompanied by the Mother of God and the Child, are painted on the bell tower. Inside, the painting depicts the Lord Jesus Christ, who holds an open book in which he reads: "I am the light of the world, the follower of me will not walk in darkness." The monastic complex nowadays consists of the church of old wood, a new church, a bell tower, a chapel (chapel), an aghiasmatar, cell bodies and statehood. The heart of the Lepşa nunnery is represented by the wooden church bearing the birth of the Virgin Mary, which was restored between 1930 and 1936.
     The cross-shaped edifice is made of wooden beams that are laid on a river rock foundation. The walls, both the exterior and the interior, were covered with planks, and the roof was made of shingles. The pyramid-shaped tower is dominated by an iron cross. Entrance to the lodge is through a porch, embedded inside the building. Above it there is a large, square square tower. Then cross the narthex, the nave and reach the altar. The fairy-tale of the faithful is captivating by its highly vivacious, intense blue color, in contrast to the plank of the plank walls. Ornaments were used carved pieces of wood and paintings, which make up an original ensemble among the cult places. The sculpture is the work of a craftsman from Focsani, Oreste Cantini, according to the inscription on the iconostasis. The walls are crowned with icons, harmoniously placed in front of the faithful. Among the treasures housed by the church is the icon of Saint Nicholas, considered wondrous-maker, which is why it always has a lit candle. The icon of Saint Nicholas is the only one that was not consumed in the 1929 fire, being the only element of the former hermitage church that is still preserved. Another vestige is an icon of 1584, painted in Jerusalem. Among the jewels is the polyhedron that illuminates the place, a piece that was received by the Lepşa monastery from King Carol II in 1934. The bell tower in the monastery was renovated and continues to dominate the entrance , being a component that reveals the architectural specificity of the place. There is a new church in the hermitage, the construction of which started in 2008 and bears the "Spring of Healing" and "Saint Archangels Mihail and Gavril".
     Recently there is also the chapel in the ensemble. The chapel is dedicated to the "Holy Trinity" and was carried in 1993. It is painted in fresco by an artist from Buzau. The old body of cells, which has been completely renovated, has been integrated into the girdle surrounding the church of the Nativity of the Mother of God. He was also given new constructions: the state and other cells. Besides this, there is also an L-shaped building with a dining room, cellars, cercaces and a closed terrace. In the vicinity of the buildings, inside the ensemble, there was a wooden table, which houses the liturgy.